Bummed out that Microsoft decided to pull the plug on the Windows Phone Marketplace in Zune? Recent events have shown there’s a use to keep the software storefront sticking around, and now there’s a new method to bring it back.
A WPCentral tipster discovered that, with a simple registry edit in Windows, it’s easy to get the Marketplace back. Here are the steps:
- Press the Start button in the Windows taskbar and type in “Registry Editor”.
- Open Registry Editor (or regedit.exe).
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Zune
- Create KEY: FeaturesOverride
- Within that new Key, create DWORD: Apps = 1
For those familiar with elementary registry editing, this procedure is a total piece of cake compared to a previous method that required a much more difficult personal server setup. This method should still be treated only as a temporary workaround because Microsoft is most likely going to completely remove the feature in the future. In the meantime though, this should be a serviceable ‘patch’ to get desktop downloads back in working order.